Thursday, March 5, 2009

SANDRA

It was my first year of teaching, probably as close to hell as one can get this side of eternity. Grades one to four, forty-five students in one classroom. They were ordinary growing kids. I was inexperienced and not very competent. Among the 45 were Sandra Swain and her sister. Sandra was articulate and exuberant and in no way lethargic.
One morning before school Mrs. Swain told me this story. She said, “Last night I’d had it with Sandra and I exclaimed, 'Sandra, Shut Up!’

‘Mom, you shouldn’t say Shut Up! Mr. Kieschnick says that’s a sin.’

‘Now wait a minute, Sandra. I know Mr. Kieschnick and I know you kids. I’ll bet that when things get out of hand in your classroom sometimes Mr. Kieschnick, too, does shout Kids, Shut Up!’

‘Oh yes, he does’, said Sandra. ‘But God forgives Mr. Kieschnick!’”

It’s more than 50 years since Sandra made that declaration. I hope that even if she has forgotten all about how to add common fractions, she still believes that God forgives Mr. Kieschnick - and all the Sandras too.

No comments: