Thursday, April 30, 2009

In the 80’s

When I planned this blog a couple of days ago I wanted to begin by rejoicing that I finally again shot a full round of golf - in the 80’s. But that didn’t happen. So the theme has a more expanded focus. The topic is how I am doing now that my age is slowly creeping up through those numbers commonly referred to as “in the 80’s”. The bad news: The down side of being in the 80’s is most readily apparent on the golf course and in the bedroom. In my youth I often hit my drives 250 yards (before all these new technologies). Now, even with the latest in equipment, I barely and rarely hit the ball 200 yards off the tee. In the bedroom the libido seems asleep and when awakened seems to fail to notify the rest of the body. I still walk the couple of miles to and from the grocery, but when I carry a gallon of milk home I am glad that it is in plastic and not heavy glass. The woman cutting my hair no longer checks my age. She just automatically charges the senior rate (which I guess she should as total time elapsed for shampoo and cut never exceeds 11 minutes!)

Professionally there are other clues. When my congregation no longer asks me to preach or teach a special class during the pastor’s absence I begin to wonder. “Is it because I am no longer able to preach a stimulating, helpful sermon? Is it because there is a fear that if this old man in his 80’s gets into the pulpit the younger generation will automatically tune him out? And are my teaching methods not sufficiently enhanced with the latest media and newest theories of Biblical interpretation?”

The good news: Being in the 80’s has its up side. I still get those phone calls from colleagues at, for example, The Center for Urban Education Ministries or Wheat Ridge Ministries or search teams for heads of schools like the Hong Kong International School. These good friends seem very genuine when expressing appreciation for experience and expertise. At a different level it is very affirming when a congregation council member invites, “Let’s do lunch. I want to pick your brain.”

I have now been doing crossword puzzles (even those in the New York Times) long enough to have caught on to some of the traditional clues and I am able to remember that old #4 for the New York Giants was Mel Ott.

It was especially heart warming when in two recent confirmation classes at church I received the word that a couple of teen-agers had specifically requested me as their mentor.

There has never been a time when I did not feel the love and support of my wife and extended family, especially kids and grandkids. Yet as I am “in the 80s” this affection is prized ever more deeply. Grandkids are achingly missed as they live so far away and Skype connections are particularly valued.

In assessing my own spirituality in the 80’s I find myself more and more drawn to the radical message of what Jesus called the Kingdom of God, with its reign of love, its outreach to those on the margins, its call for commitment to the poor, the aliens, the humble of heart. And it is good to have that extra time at the beginning of each day to parade in prayer before God’s throne an ever expanding line of people about whom I care.

In the 80’s I live in a marvelous facility with my loving, 100% supportive and totally well and strong wife of more than 57 years. Wine and food still taste very good. There are minimal aches and pains. The stock market will eventually turn around. Two weeks ago I sank three long putts in one round. Friends still email. Kids are planning to visit. God is good. It’s good to be “in the 80’s”.

No comments: