Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Arabs

Arabs. I thought I knew about Arabs. They lived in the desert. They owned camels. They were the descendants of Ishmael. They were Muslims. I was pretty sure about all this until I went to Beirut in 1968.

My objective was to meet with American missionaries there to discuss education opportunities. They were hospitable: a lunch of 30 small dishes of Lebanese delicacies. They were helpful: tour and contacts at the American University of Lebanon. Then they threw me a curve. For the rest of my trip they assigned me to a local guide; an Arab in a business suit; an Arab who was a university graduate, lived in an apartment and drove a car; an Arab who was a devout Christian; an Arab who was very gentle with his arrogant and ignorant guest.

He taught me about the cedars of Lebanon and the many different ethnic, cultural and religious groups who have walked under those majestic trees. He took me to Tyre and Sidon, recalling for me the history of Phoenicians. He took me to where Jesus walked. He showed me the remaining Crusader Forts built by Christians who had come to annihilate non-believing Arab Muslims who were called infidels. He showed me the massive military build-up by Israel which he correctly predicted would be used to invade his country.

He spoke with no bitterness or animosity. There was no condescension toward my American inspired pro-Israeli bias. He just shared his experiences, his fears, his hopes, his faith.

Now 50 years later I need to remember him as post 9/11 images and rhetoric would ask me to forget or ignore what I experienced in those few days and what I learned from my Arab brother. Arabs, like all ethnic groups, come with a variety of values, beliefs, aspirations. Some of these points of view I despise – others I share.

No comments: