Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Male and Female*

I spent the first six years of my professional life as a Lutheran school principal in California, first in the northern and then in the southern part of the state. I recall with gratitude and appreciation the 100 or so principals who were my colleagues. We met together often. They served me as mentors and models. They impressed me by not only serving as principals, but at the same time being full-time classroom teachers and more often than not also being their congregation’s organist and choir director. One other factor stands out: All 100 of them were male.

In the mid 1950’s I accepted a position as a major leader for setting up a Lutheran school system in Hong Kong (which today enrolls some 25,000 students.). My memory is that when the World Mission Board considered candidates for that position they looked at no female possibilities.

I recall with admiration and appreciation the Lutheran school principals who were my colleagues in Michigan when I served them as their District Superintendent in the late 60’s and early 70’s. They served from the heart of Detroit to the village of Bach. There were over 100 of them in those days. I visited in the homes of as many as possible. This, too, I recall, 109 were male; 1 was female.

In the later 80’s my duties took me to the Center for Urban Education Ministries in New York. It didn’t take long to notice: more and more principals of urban Lutheran schools were female. We convened a significant number of them and asked them to share their stories. They told us that often they had been selected only when no male would accept the position. The more we listened the more we learned another obvious point. These women were committed, capable, professional models for all.

Today when I read the web sites, blogs and other literature I am struck by the fact that one of the most challenging positions within the entire Lutheran Church is the position of Early Childhood Center Director. These leaders deal with incredibly complex issues ranging from extremely complicated tuition and fees schedules, to complicated salary schedules, to concerns ranging from peanut butter to recording devises hidden in the kids’ back packs. Another reality hits me. Almost all of these competent servant leaders are female.

In reflection I am saddened again with the realization of how any society or segment of society deprives itself when it chooses to not utilize the gifts of all members of the society, male and female.

*NOTE: This is one in a series of six blog entries related to a presentation I will make at the 2010 Lutheran Education Association National Administrators Conference in New Orleans in February 2010.

Following that event my blog will again be more in the “All Things Considered” category.

No comments: