Wednesday, March 24, 2010

And the Little Moments

My wife Jane still has that little book called “Select Songs for School and Home “: It has a Concordia Publishing House copyright date of 1922. I guess it is more than 70 years ago that I learned one of the songs-and it still resides gently in my consciousness. A few of the lines read: “Little drops of water, Little grains of sand, Make the mighty ocean And the beauteous land.” Next verse: “And the little moments, Humble though they be, Make the mighty ages Of eternity”

I have been reflecting on a few of “those little moments” today. I have had a bunch of them this week. I wasn’t even out of the sanctuary yet on Sunday when a friend stopped me. “Hey. Mel, on that trip you’re taking to China in a couple months. Got your ticket yet? Just send me the confirmation number and I will use some of my Frequent Flyer miles to upgrade you to Business Class. (What a nice moment.)

On Monday we took an excursion to the Anza Borrego Desert. I stood among the cactae, the unusually bountiful and beautiful spring colored flowers, the expanse of sand and rocks and hills - and for just a moment I was in contact with eons of time, the change from ocean floor to desert, the Indians, the Spaniards and us all. (For just a moment I was in touch with the ages of the universe.)

Yesterday I played golf with a new golfing buddy. For months we had been challenging each other about who will beat whom when we finally play. As we got to the last holes and I just needed a couple pars to shoot my age and I was lining up a long putt, I actually felt this new partner rooting for me to get it home (A simple, yet warm moment.)

Just few minutes ago we had a simple lunch. I once again made a tuna salad. Once again I had to ask Jane what she wanted and didn’t want in the salad. And she, oh so gently, told me for the 125th time” just tuna, celery and a little salt.’ No reminders about how often she had told me that, or any half humorous comment on long and or short-term memory. Just another repetition of what she has told me so often. (Another little moment to give a gentle positive stir in the soul.)

“And the little moments, Humble though they be, Make the mighty ages of eternity.”

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

LOVE this! Just what I needed to read this morning. Thanks, Dad!