Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Ninth and Tenth Commandments: “Thou shalt not covet.”

Now here is a word I don’t use every day, “covet”. In fact, I don’t know if I have ever heard it used outside the context of church or religious discussion. Yet it is one of the specific prohibitions in the Ten Commandments - so much so that Catholics and Lutherans assign two commandments to this prohibition.


Looking at the original context it is pretty clear that what is talked about is an inordinate desire to have one’s neighbor’s property, whether that be real estate, financial resources or even slaves or wives who were considered property.

Immediately my mind plays games to help me escape the condemnation of this commandment. I say to myself, “I do not covet my neighbor’s specific house, beautiful spouse or new Mercedes.  I only want one just like it. That surely is not coveting.”

Then I hear the defensive assertion, “It is the desire to have more things than one’s parents had that made America great.” Surely it is a legitimate wish of each parent that their child have greater resources than they.

So what’s the big deal? I think the big deal addressed in these commandments is CONTENTMENT. It is the directive to not let my contentment be dependent on my possessions, especially when I compare my assets with my neighbors, particularly those who seem to have more than I do.

Of course, it goes beyond just discontent and wanting more, better, newer, more expensive… , although this gets me into enough trouble. It is when these desires not only leave me unhappy with what I have, but then also lead me to plan how I can get more, outstrip my neighbors, raise my social economic aspirations and that becomes the basis for life’s satisfaction and impels me to work seventy-hour weeks.

So I end up looking at these commandments and confessing, “I have not kept them.” But it also brings me up short with the wonderful reminder to be content with what I have, to live within my means, to share with those who need it, to rejoice with my neighbor in her good fortune and in the meantime to joyfully enjoy the blessings and the bounty of each day. And if I am going to covet, then maybe I should covet virtues like faith, hope, love and contentment.

No comments: