Friday, June 7, 2013

New York

NEW YORK! I love New York. Actually I love all five boroughs of that wonderful city, but my favorite is The City, Manhattan, The Big Apple. From the first time I visited in the late 1940’s through the 8 years I lived just up the railway in Eastchester (while I served as Head of The Lutheran Schools Association Of New York) I jump at every opportunity to get my New York fix!

I love the people; and, of course, one is enmeshed in them the minute one steps onto almost any Manhattan Street, but it seems to be at its most frenzied pace around Times Square. What a thrill it is to be caught up in the swell of people from all corners of the earth, speaking every conceivable dialect all wearing all styles of dress, all sharing one common characteristic: they are in a hurry! Each person with their own agenda and a fierce determination to meet that agenda.
It was always a special treat when I got to Times Square with my long-time friend Howie Capell and he chose to drive his car. We would pull into Times Square. He’d spot a cop. get out of the car and wave to the cop with a” Hi “. Immediately the officer would be at our side, direct us to the nearest parking space (most likely marked No Parking) and wave us into the spot. If none of those was available the cop would personally walk alongside our car to the nearest public garage. He would signal the attendant and order, “Take care of my friend.” The valet would park our car at the entrance and there was never a fee. (These cops all know of how well Howie represented their fallen colleagues in the lawsuits following 9/11.)
Another way to experience Times Square and Manhattan Streets, The Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center etc. etc was with my nearly 90 year old Mother who was determined to “do NY.” She was in her wheel chair. Every time we got to a curb or an elevator or a rest room which she needed to use, someone was at her side asking how they could help and then doing it squared! My Mother declared, ”New York is the friendliest city in the world and I am from Texas where we know about hospitality.”
 I, of course, love to eat. In NY the picks were literally beyond imagination: Chinese food in Chinatown, Little Italy, street vendors with their pretzels, hot dogs, etc. very expensive famous eateries, delicatessens and bars ranging from the one with a view at the top of the Marriott to the neighborhood pubs around Union Square.

ENTERTAINMENT ON AND OFF THE STREET 24-7
Theaters, Carnegie Hall, The Met at Lincoln Center, The Blue Note for Jazz. Every conceivable Museum beckons. Madison Square Gardens awaits but you have to slip across the border into the Bronx to get to Yankee Stadium
Naturally I find the churches to be important to me, I never miss a chance to drop into St. Patrick’s on Fifth Avenue for a few moments of silence.  St. Peter’s Lutheran sits inside the Citicorp Building and the reredos behind its altar is a massive window framing the city it is called to serve. If one is around on Christmas Eve the thing to do is go to St. Luke’s Lutheran in the theater district. Just before midnight singers come from many of the shows, concerts, clubs in the areas (professionals all) and gather to sing in incredible harmonies the ancient Christmas carols.

I try to end my New York visit with the most meaningful worship of all. I go the site of the new World Trade Center. I stand silently for a long time at the Memorial Fountain. I let me fingers trace the names of the 9/11 victims; I image especially those who were numbered among the 60 who left behind a child or grandchild enrolled in a Lutheran School. I remember and I pray that the Lord of all cities would stop especially all killing done I n God’s name and send flocks of special angels to the big cities of the world, beginning with The Big Apple.

No comments: