Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Legacy

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000229 EndHTML:0000004851 StartFragment:0000001957 EndFragment:0000004815 SourceURL:file:///Users/janekieschnick/Desktop/Daily%20Use%20Files/MMK/Articles%2FSpeeches/BLOG-MEL'S%20M%26M'S/Legacy.doc
Legacy

What legacy will I leave when I die? No, I am not morbidly contemplating my last days. However, just this last week I had several little nudges that stirred me in the direction of contemplating my legacy.

The first was a radio interview regarding our recently sacked San Diego mayor, He admitted to grossly inappropriate (even illegal) behavior in sexually harassing women of all ages. When asked about the specifics of his guilty plea the attorney being interviewed stated “I think what the ex-mayor is sort of calculating is his legacy and very specifically: what will be in the first two lines of his obituary when it is published in the media upon his death.” Interesting. What will be in the first few lines of one’s obituary. Will it be very dependent upon whoever happens to write that obituary or will there be general agreement, “Yes, this is Mel’s legacy.”

I happened to mention this to my daughter Liz who is in private family therapy practice. She told me that she had just seen several clients in which there were significant challenges in mother-daughter relationships. She told me that she had asked the mothers to consider: “Many years from now when your daughters will be recalling your late life, what is it that you hope they will remember about you?’ That is another legacy question.

I have now been retired for 20 years. Tomorrow I go to an international education symposium on Lutheran education. There I will listen to the latest in the “Kieschnick Lecture Series” an endowed endeavor set up by my friends at the time of my retirement. Most of the people at that lecture will never have heard of Mel Kieschnick and I surely get that! The person delivering the lecture is much younger than I and we have spent little time together. But I have read his speech and is it good stuff. It is about his dreams and visions for international Lutheran schools.


That is good. And as I listen I will be reflecting upon my dreams and my nightmares; my successes and my failures, my satisfactions and my regrets. I will be driven again to my vision of a God who is loving and forgiving.  And I trust God’s verdict as to what my legacy shall be.

No comments: