Friday, March 14, 2014

Holy LandTour, Part 3: Christmas Lutheran Church

     
(For the next several months this blog will contain memories,  reports, journals of international tours I have led or workshops I have conducted. They will include The Holy Land,  China, Finland et al. Each blog will contain a portion of the original reports.)

It had been very difficult to convince our tour company, NAWAS to include Bethlehem on our tour. There were issues: security, no four star hotel in Bethlehem, the Nawas family is Lebanese and
Lebanon/Israel relations are strained. Yet, I insisted we go to Bethlehem or we don’t do this tour.
Bethlehem was included.

My work with Wheat Ridge Ministries called upon me to assist in supporting Lutheran work in
Bethlehem. Wheat Ridge funded the Wellness center there. Wheat Ridge friends helped build the
school. Wheat Ridge helped establish a Parish Nurse program and sponsored short mission trips
for doctors, audiologists, nurses who donate their time for brief periods of time there.

So we visited. We listened to Pastor Mitre who tries to keep hope alive in a place where hope
is a rare commodity. And we worshipped on Sunday at Christmas Lutheran Church.

We had agreed (or more accurately, I had decided) to have our group sing a special
number during the service. I decided it should be Stan’s version of The Lord’s Prayer. We
rehearsed it (especially on the bus). I loved it and so did others. However, others with better
musical ears than mine came to me and said, “Mel, this is not working. Listening to our botched
up harmony does not make it easy to feel like a prayer. We must go to Plan B.” Plan B was to
sing “Alleluia”. Great song. I didn’t think it fit. I felt it kind of went on without an ending. I
made an executive decision. We will sing that old Lutheran favorite “Beautiful Savior.”
Problem: We didn’t have the music for that with us. Through Barbara I e-mailed Jane to fax it to
both our hotels in Jerusalem and in Bethlehem. She tried. Both hotels had their faxes turned off.
But we got just the right arrangement when we visited Bethlehem ministries on Saturday, 33
copies clearly copied.

Sunday morning found us at church 30 minutes ahead of time (a minor miracle for folks
from Calvary) but in time with that specific request from Pr. Mitre. As we entered the beautiful
chapel with its exquisite stained glass windows we were met by a large group of white people,
certainly not the Arab members of the congregation. It turned out to be a big brass band from
Germany. They had come to support the Lutheran ministry in Bethlehem, had a benefit concert,
taught children in the Lutheran school there how to play some band instruments and donated instruments. They were led by a gentle, tall Lutheran pastor. Now we needed to negotiate how their playing and our singing would work together to enrich the worship. Surprisingly, my German was better than the director’s English. Beautiful Savior is well known in Germany by its German name, “Schoenster Herr Jesu”. The band director thought we wanted her to accompany our group. Not a good idea. When I mentioned our hymn choice to Pr. Mitre he said, “Wonderful. This is a favorite hymn of
my congregation. Why don’t you folks sing the first 3 verses and the congregation and the organ
will join in on verse 4.” We did that. It was stirring: “Beautiful Savior, Lord of the Nations.”
I was also glad that we had dropped singing “The Lord’s Prayer “ when Pr. Mitre said,
“We do the same thing every Sunday. When we pray “The Lord’s Prayer” during the service I
ask each person to pray it in the language of their choice. It was powerful, Arabic, German,
Swedish, Norwegian, English. (I chose Cantonese.) God sorted it all out.

Another decision had to be made. Pr. Mitre had asked for someone from our group to
read the Epistle lesson for the day. Of course, many wanted to do that. Several volunteered. I
chose to offend them all and made the decision that I would read the lesson. And what a lesson it
was to hear God’s call for justice, peace and consideration for the poor. Once again, the right
word of God for exactly that time and place.

Two disappointments: The sermon was, of course, in Arabic. Pr. Mitre chose to not give
a brief summary in English. I learned later that Pr. Mitre struggles on Sunday in finding a
balance between being the pastor for the members of his flock, and also paying adequate
attention to the needs of guests.

The second disappointment: The church was built by German Lutherans more than 100
years ago. The stained glass windows all depict the life and ministry of Jesus in and near
Bethlehem. Stunningly beautiful! My disappointment: The Bible verse accompanying each
window was there in German. I wish it had been in an Arab language. To compensate, upon the
100th anniversary of the church, the congregation had the words of the Gloria in Excelsis done in
beautiful Arabic script around the dome.

The conversations after the service were an important part of the experience. Once again
the tour members were wonderful as all of us met the Arab members, some ELCA youth
volunteers from America and guests from Norway and Germany. My conversation with one of
the members was sobering. He explained the great difficulty he has getting around the “security
walls” to land which has been in his family for generations. He said to me, “I must get there. I
must continue to plant olive trees there. If I fail to go, if I fail to plant, my family’s ancestral
lands will immediately be ‘appropriated’. So I go. I plant with my bare hands. I have planted 400
olive trees.”

“Mitre, how do you feel about the future?” “Not hopeful”, he said. “I see almost no signs
of us moving toward a peaceful solution.” “Yet”, he said, “we must keep hope alive.” As Martin
Luther said, “Even if I knew I would die tomorrow, today I must still plant an olive tree.”
(Luther, of course, had said, “plant my apple tree” but in Bethlehem the apple tree became an

olive tree.) I heard that and tried to keep my teardrops from becoming too obvious.

No comments: