Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Kieschnick Reunion ("I")


Some years ago I had an important personal insight. I learned that wherever I go I take my self along. And I have learned that this “I” is ever changing midst other constants.

The “I” that I took to the Kieschnick Family reunion this year had some of the ever constant: I am one of 9 children, deeply influenced by my parents. I am a person of faith and continuing commitment to integrity, justice, and inclusivity. That “I” once again went to Walburg, Texas, the place of my birth more than 87 years ago that has in some ways stayed pretty much the same.

Yet the “I” of this Reunion was also very different. This “I” was feeling its age. I moved more slowly. My reaction time was slower. My energy level is lower. My driving now depends more on my GPS than just recalling, ”Take Highway 29 , then 72, then 190 and get off at Friendship Ave.” My hair is more white than gray. Then it got really serious. I once had to ask, ”Tell me again what’s trump” in the annual Texas 42 (dominos) competition. Now that is a serious new dimension of my “I”.

It just happened that during the Reunion weekend Concordia University, Texas awarded me the George J. Beto Award for Leadership. It was presented art Zion Lutheran Church just 200 yards from the room in which I was born and one hundred yards from where I attended grades 1-8 in Zion Lutheran School. So I took the opportunity to reflect upon how my “I” was formed by my extended family, my Lutheran school and my church. I gave thanks to God and the community for those formative impressions.

What I did not share with those present was the great surprises since I left Walburg. Included in those forces and experiences are my world travels and work in tens of cities from Helsinki to Karachi That I have lived in the urban areas of Chicago, Hong Kong, New York City greatly changed me. My wife of 64 years and our five children have had a tremendous impact upon me. Books continue to challenge and expand my world. Spending one on one time with people of many ethnicities, varying socio-economic levels, all sexual orientations, atheists and fundamentalists, greatly influenced the “I” that is still being formed.


So as I reflect on my “I”, I give thanks, seek forgiveness and look forward to who the “I” will be should I be around to go to our 25th Kieschnick Family reunion next year.

No comments: