Saturday, May 20, 2017

Reflections on a Long and Blessed Life No. 55: Studying the Chinese Language

 One of the biggest challenges I faced after feeling called to serve among the Chinese in Hong Kong was the challenge of learning the Chinese language-and specifically the Cantonese dialect of that language. Chinese is spoken by some 1.2 billion people around the world. In its written from it does not have an alphabet but uses “characters”-each character being only one syllable. In its spoken form, it is tonal which means that the single character has a different meaning depending upon which tone is used. Cantonese has nine tones ranging from high to middle to low. Thus, the word “sic” can mean know or eat or color or thorn etc. depending upon which tone is used in its pronunciation.

There is good news and bad news about my efforts to learn the language. The good news is that I had wonderful teachers. The second good news is that the Chinese were very forgiving of my very poor Chinese language skills. For example, it was only many years after I did it that a teacher told me that in one of my early attempts to use Cantonese at a faculty meeting I had opened the meeting by calling the attendees “old rats” when I had meant to call them “honorable scholars” I had used the wrong tones. The bad news is simply that in spite of my good efforts I spoke Cantonese very poorly. My wife Jane did much better. She has a good ear for music and so her tomes were right on.

My problem was especially bad when I tried to speak Cantonese over the phone. The person on the other end of the line heard my mixed-up tones, assumed I was a native Mandarin speaker trying to speak Cantonese so would switch to Mandarin which left me more in the dark than ever.

Because the never--ceasing efforts of my teachers and the forbearance of my colleagues I finally was able to read the basic information on report cards, carry on a simple conversation, and memorised The Lord’s Prayer, The Apostles Creed, and the Ten Commandments.

Jane and I studied Chinese at HK University, but much more important was the tutoring from Mr. Hung Chiu Sing. He was a wonderful scholar, a devout Christian and a very patient teacher. The name “Hung” is the Chinese version of what in English was translated “Con” as in Confucius. He was a direct descendant of Master Confucius. Thus, he taught us not only the language but also the customs, the special analects and, most importantly, proper Chinese manners. He was wonderful. And unbelievably patient.

Of equal importance were the marvelous interpreters who empowered and assisted me. Without them I would have been a complete failure. My first interpreter was Isaac Ma. He interpreted for me at the classes I taught both for Lutheran teachers and at Hong Kong College. I learned later that if I said something that didn’t make sense to him he just made up his own message. And it worked. Dr. Andrew Chui was invaluable in interpreting for me when I taught at the Bible Institute and Concordia Seminary. He had memorised almost the entire Bible and could always quote scripture absolutely accurately. Rev. Daniel Lee was unbelievable. He was especially helpful in assisting me when I taught (in Chinese) a course in General Psychology at the Lutheran Seminary in Dou Fung Shan. Daniel worked with me hour after hour helping me out because all the Chinese texts in psychology were translations from the Russian, pure behaviorism and thus not suitable for what I
wanted to teach. Those seminary students bore with me, never laughed at me, and while they had, I am sure, plenty of comments out of class, they survived (thanks especially to Daniel). Slowly my own high school students became my interpreters, especially John and James Chu and then also Margaret Wong who was especially helpful in my office.
  
Now years later I dare to try my Cantonese very, very rarely. I can still recite in Cantonese The Lord’s Prayer and the Apostles Creed and sing the common doxology. And an interesting sidelight: Our youngest son John was only a year old when we left HK but he is the one who developed a keen interest in all things Chinese. He now reads and writes Chinese as easily in Chinese English. His wife (a native of Spain) who graduated from Beijing University and their two children regularly speak Mandarin with each other. And I continue to feel a bit ashamed that 1.2 billion people speak some form of Chinese every day-but I am not numbered among them.


--> -->

No comments: