Monday, August 13, 2018

Taxes: Happy To Pay Them



It was, of all places, a golf course that got me thinking about taxes. As a part of our annual Kieschnick Reunion rituals we played Saturday morning golf-at a public course in New Braunfels, Texas. The service was outstanding. The staff had the carts ready-with our names on them. There were signs announcing the event. The staff had even called earlier to tell us they would have the kitchen staff arrive extra early on that Saturday morning to prepare breakfast if we wished that. I have never received better service at the finest private clubs around the world.

I reflected upon the fact that this was a public golf course undoubtedly supported by taxes. Maybe I even paid some tax support for it as part of the add-on taxes  when I paid my motel bill in that city. I was happy to pay those taxes and get those nice benefits. The more I thought about this the more I became aware of other things I get for my taxes.

I am happy to travel on our tax-supported highways. The police help keep me safe. Some of my fellow citizens who are less blessed with resources than I get housing or food or health support. The monthly social security checks deposited into my bank are certainly more than I ever paid into that account. My Medicare drugs tend to run to $8.00 per prescription-due to tax support. While I think we spend too much on the military I must admit that I am grateful for the men and women who serve to protect me .I get frustrated and angry when I see what my taxes are paying for at the DMV yet the list of appreciated benefits goes on: free public schools, fire protection, clean beaches, airport security, assistance for poor and hungry people around the world. I am grateful that my California gasoline taxes help protect the environment and combat global warming. I get a lot for my taxes and I am grateful for the benefits.

I realize, of course, that I pay fewer taxes than many. I am aware that because of my income level I pay extremely little in income taxes. Whatever the amount: I do not regret paying it. I do not want to move out of my state or country to “save taxes”. I follow Jesus’ teaching to “render unto Caesar what is cease’s”. So, yes, I claim every deduction I can. I do not send extra “voluntary cash” to the government-but I am indeed satisfied to pay my fair share of taxes and am grateful and pleased with the benefits

No comments: