Saturday, May 2, 2020

COVID 19 Alcohol


I really don’t need to watch TV to be reminded that alcohol has become an issue during this terrible epidemic. I have seen/heard at least half a dozen TV commentaries on this topic. There is growing evidence that the consumption of alcohol is greatly increased as people deal with all the stresses with which we all now live. One item I found especially interesting was that it was stated that people who are in AA feel less stress than heavy drinkers who have not yet joined AA. They explained that AA participants have learned how to respond to the urge to drink and resist it. Other heavy drinkers have the same stress but unfortunately often resort to heavier drinking. 
 But I don’t need TV to tell me that alcohol related questions are being asked. Here at La Costa Glen we have a weekly in-house TV hour when the Director deals with issues raised by residents. Since the facility now brings all our daily food to our rooms and even offers to go buy our groceries the question arose: “Can you buy me some vodka or wine? “The answer was “No, but we are working on that as we know that many of you have asked that question.” Two days later we got the answer. Residents can order wine from the dining room service. There are two choices and the limit is 2 bottles. (And I noticed that the prices charged have been raised quite a bit from what we paid when we just ordered that wine while we were having dinner.)

It soon got more personal. I drink at least one glass of wine a day (often two) and lately Jane has joined me. So, the question was raised, “How long will my wine last?” And I had to remember that we were not allowed to leave these premises to go buy things. The first to reach out to me was Kris. He just asked if he could bring some wine to the front gate and have those people deliver it to me. I assured him that would work. Within 48 hours the gentleman from the front gate was at my front door with two wonderful bottles of wine. Before that arrived, my daughter Elizabeth had asked about my wine supply. Then some wonderful messages appeared in my email followed by the gentleman from the front gate again at my door, this time with a full case of much better wine that what I usually purchase. My very discerning and empathic son-in-law Jim had it all carefully selected and sent on its way to my apartment door. Again, the same gentleman from the front gate delivered it to me with a very wry smile on his face.

This great flow of blessings raised a new beautiful challenge: where can I store this good stuff? I have a liquor closet of three shelves each four feet long. It has the accumulated alcohol of 13 years and the shelves had not been orderly arranged since they were first utilized. With all the time I have on my hands I decided to rearrange that mixture of alcoholic delights. That was a good decision, especially since it brought back so many good memories. I found three bottles of after dinner drinks from Sweden. They were given me by my neighbor Gordon when he decided to clear out his liquor cabinet. I found a bottle each of Arrak, Tokaji Aszo, Blossa Gloog,and Brandy Gloog. I have never tried any of them. Memories of son David now departed for five years were stirred when I found some triple sec from him and when I thought of David’s last years when he would call and say, “Dad, let’s go out and have a couple of beers and a couple of  hours of good father-son conversation.” The full bottle of Chaves Royal was brought by my friend Mahesh who lives just a few doors down. The empty spot next to that used be occupied by another good Scotch provided by wonderful friends Irene and Ruth who moved away from us way too far and now live near Philadelphia. There was just enough Kahlua for one more Black Russian and memories of wonderful moments of sharing those with friend Helene in Manhattan. Way in the back I found a bottle of very good Japanese sake and another of a strong Chinese mao tai, all carefully brought to me through international customs by former student Kam Chu

All these memories made the task of getting everything in order a pleasant couple of hours. And in the midst of it all I reflected, “You know, Mel, your father taught you to enjoy a good beer. Your wife taught you to appreciate a good before dinner cocktail. A good Lutheran wine maker in Lodi, California taught you how to appreciate a fine bottle of wine, and your son taught you how to have a drink to enhance conversation. And the ever watchful (afraid we would drink too much) 
much) eye of my Mother trained me to drink responsibly." I do not think that even once in my life I drank so much as to be considered inebriated. So, I raise a glass to all, and I am sure I will make it through the corona epidemic in good shape.

No comments: