Thursday, August 6, 2009

Church Picnic Softball

Last Sunday my church once again sponsored Sunday Church Picnic in the Park. It was wonderful. Lots of hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salads, homemade cakes and cookies. The fellowship was great. Persons of all ages milled around together enjoying a gorgeous day.

After the meal there was the usual: putting contest, hula hoops, water balloon toss. The works. Then came the announcement,”Time for the softball game. Get you glove, bat and balls and let’s head for the ball field.”

It was at that point that I hesitated. Should I join in? I remembered our last church picnic softball game, now some ten years ago. Of course I was younger then, only 71 and anxious to get into the game. First came the matter of choosing teams. One chooser was a middle aged softballer, the other an eager teen-ager. By turn they made their selection. Almost all had been selected when it hit me. ”Hey, I haven’t been picked “. This was a pretty new experience for me. I used to be always among the first ones picked. I felt a tinge of rejection.

Finally all had been chosen, all except me, that is. Then to add injury to insult the middle aged guy said to the kid, “Why don’t you just take Mel?” The reply, “No, that’s okay. You take him” So I joined my team in the field. Naturally I was assigned short right field.

When it came my turn at bat I was ready. I rejoiced as I belted a single through the infield. I admit it was not a screamer, but I was safely on base. The next batter hit a slow roller. I was not about to be doubled off at second. I took off with every ounce of energy my legs could generate. About half way between first and second it happened. I felt my hamstring snap. I fell to the ground. I was assisted off the field. I watched the rest of the game in silence trying not to show any pain. It was the first time in all of my life that I declared a church picnic a disaster.

That was why I hesitated last Sunday about joining in the game. I made the right decision. I wished my fellow congregants well. I went home and watched the Padres lose on television.

No comments: