Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bars

I was six years old. Prohibition had just ended. I walked into that small Texas town saloon with eyes wide open, my nose sniffing the new smells, my ears hearing the debate as to whether this 15 cent bottle of bought beer was really better than home brew. I eyed the muddy boots, the Oshkosh overalls, the sweated Stetsons. The barkeeper behind the simple bar wore a white half-apron drooping from his waist. The dominoes clicked. The language became guarded as we entered because my father who brought me there was the principal of the local parochial school and had taught them all. Even in that saloon I knew he was probably the most respected man in the community. He bought a beer for himself. Then he slid over a nickel for a big bottle of red strawberry soda pop for me. I had been introduced to the world of bars, saloons, pubs, lounges.

My Uncle Otto was in town, staying in a big fancy hotel in the downtown loop of Chicago. He had invited me, a college freshman in suburban River Forest to come see him. When I arrived he invited me to join him in the bar. He said he would buy me a beer. “Buy me a beer… - but I’m not of legal age”, I thought. But he took me in. We sat in a booth. He ordered 2 beers. But I’ll never forget it. What surprised me was not that the waiter never questioned my age, but that he asked for $2.00. “That’s a dollar a bottle!” my mind screamed. I had never in my life heard of a beer costing more than a quarter. It was one of the memorable beers of my life.

I either was 21 years of age or at least appeared to be. I sat in a dark midwestern neighborhood tavern, in a high wood-paneled booth. I was there with my new girl friend Jane. I ordered her a bourbon and 7-up. We looked into each other’s eyes. We held hands. We sipped our drinks. We swam in our love.

I had tipped the maitre d’ generously and he had come through. Immediately he led us to a choice table. We were at the Windows of the World cocktail lounge at the top of Tower II of the World Trade Center in New York. The table was right next to the window. The view of New York on this beautiful day stretched magnificently below us. I ordered a bottle of good wine. It was great to be in New York. Wonderful to be with a wife and a sister I loved. Perfect to be in the best seat at the best bar in New York. All was well with the world.

Nevermore!

No comments: