Saturday, July 4, 2015

Reflections on a Blessed and Happy Life - No. 21 - High School Work for Pay

 Working for pay was always a high priority for us kids growing up in the depression years of the 1930’s. Of course, we never got paid for any work around our own home. A weekly allowance was something we only heard about. So early on I mowed lawns for my relatives and then picked cotton for neighboring farmers during the summer. I was good at the first and very very poor at the second.

Therefore when I went away to dorm living at Concordia Academy in Austin in 1941 it was assumed that I would find some paying jobs. This was complicated by the fact that we were not supposed to go off campus from Tuesday a.m. through Saturday noon. So I found work on campus. The first job was to help take care of the grounds. I was assigned a partner, Mike Mitschke. We worked especially the rose bushes. Our work was carefully monitored by the school’s head, Director Dr. Henry P. Studtmann. The pay was 20 cents an hour.

In my junior and senior years I got another assignment. I managed the “school stationery”. This was a small operation originally set up to sell stationery supplies to students. Gradually it was
expanded to a much more productive service namely that of selling candy, soft drinks and such. We were open for a few minutes after chapel each morning and then again after evening chapel services. Everything was supposed to be on a strictly cash only bases, but there were always some students who asked for credit. So I kept a log of that. However, every accumulated bill had to be settled by Friday evening or no more goods would be sold to that person.

Since these were the years of World War II it was extremely difficult to procure candy etc. to sell. Every week I would go in the “college truck “ with the school custodian to a wholesale provider. There I put on my most friendly and beseeching face in an attempt to get a supply of Milky Ways, Mars Bars, Butterfingers et sim. Some times I succeeded, other times I came up empty. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that once I procured these favorites I was not always completely fair in making them all available for general purchase to all students. I must admit that at times I did hold some back for favored roommates or other friends.

In retrospect I find it amazing that there was virtually no supervision nor accountability. Each week I simply told Director Studtmann how much gross income there was, turned that amount over to him and then moved on. It was a good job.

 In my junior year (11th grade) I got a good break. The Wukasch Brothers Café operated on the main drag just across the street from the big central library tower of the University of Texas. They were looking for workers. Again Mike Mitschke and I quickly jumped at the opportunity.  On Saturday afternoons (except for when the Texas Longhorns had home football games) we walked the few miles to the café and got to work in the kitchen. I remember especially peeling pound after pound of potatoes. But we also helped with doing dishes, cleaning the floor etc. The 20 cents an hour was occasionally supplemented by a free ice cream cone at the end of the day.

This job turned out to also be available over the summer ,so I grabbed it. I actually rented a small room at the home of Teacher and Mrs. Wilkening and got in as many hours as possible. I was promoted to waiter, which meant that my 20 cents an hour was supplemented by tips.  I don’t recall ever getting a tip larger that 25 cents but those nickels and dimes did count up. And I got my meals provided, as long as the cost did not exceed the 40 cents which was the price of our standard plate lunch. Now that I think of it, the café also got a good deal. They wanted me there early in the morning through about 2:00 p.m. then wanted me “off” without pay from 2:00-5:00, returning again to work from 5:00-7:00. It all worked out.

One other benefit of that job was it expanded my horizons. I became very close to Joe the dishwasher. He was an African American and for me to work with a non-Anglo was a good and positive experience. To this day I recall our banter, our 5 cents a day wager on how many lunches would be sold that day, my covering for him when he took off for June teenth (the remembrance day of when slaves were first freed in Texas). One other “handymen” there was a mentally challenged gentleman and he, too, was my teacher. Furthermore, my sheltered life had in no other circumstances put me in contact with any non-Lutherans. Here I worked with people of many or no religious beliefs. Some of my co-workers were females (both single and married) whose life experiences, language, and other escapades help expand my world. I also learned that of all meals ,breakfast is probably the most difficult to serve. I never knew there were so many different interpretations of what it mean to have eggs “over-easy” or to have bacon that is “slightly crisped” or toast that is “toasty but not too brown” The size of the waffle or the appropriate thickness of a pancake was always open to argument, All in all this was a very good experience and later some of that family was generous in helping me find funds to go on to college.

I believe that today, after 60 years, there is still a café on that site, but I bet one cannot get a steak sandwich for 30 cents!







No comments: