Friday, August 12, 2016

REFLECTIONS ON A BLESSED AND HAPPY LIFE NO 30: STUDENT GOVERNMENT


One of the most enjoyable and long-term beneficial aspect of college life was my involvement with Student Government. I think it started already in my freshman year when I was a “floor rep”. It got amped up on my junior year when I became head of the Men’s Council. It ended in my senior year when I served as Student Body President. The last was fun even before it started, as there was a long and interesting campaign season.

Two cousins, Blondie and Blackie Doering, were school mates one year behind me. When I decided to run for office they chose to be my campaign managers. That was fun, as we made signs, had slogans, made some campaign speeches etc. They were great and we succeeded. If my memory is correct I received some 90% of the popular vote. Which probably totaled some 600 in this small school.

The task of Student Body President involved quite a bit. I chaired all student council meetings, oversaw a whole host of student committees and met weekly with the college dean to discuss campus life. One of the perks of the office was that it carried with it a school grant in the fabulous amount of $100.00 for the year. (This sounds infinitesimal now, but since my total college costs for the year were around $500.00 this was a nice little help.)

One minor aspect and very strange “duty” of the student body president was to lead the entire campus in table prayers each day for the evening meal. In those days we had a very limited and set time for dinner. It was served “family style” and there were no food options. We ate what was set before us or went hungry. The members of the Student Council sat at an elevated head table. I led the table prayer or designated someone else to do it. In retrospect this all seems very strange.

One of the heavier assignments was that the Dean consulted me when serious discipline actions needed to be taken against students. I still have some regret over one particular case. One of the young men had been caught stealing some money from another student. He confessed and seemed truly repentant. I also knew he came from a rural family and his parents were extremely proud that their son was entering the teaching ministry of the church. But the dean was adamant “This may be his first offense, but it’s serious. He’s out of here.”  Despite my not strong enough protests and pleas he was sent home to his devastated parents and to this day I wonder what he did with the rest of his life. I still regret my failure in giving him another chance.

One of the things I did of which I was most proud is that I suggested, then organized and finally chaired the very first nationwide conference of all student body presidents from each of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod colleges across the country. This was unheard of at that time and our college president was very afraid of this. He feared it might lead to some kind of inappropriate demands from these radical students. It was  of course, nothing of the kind. Just a good time for us to get together, learn from and support each other. One of the wonderful results of this was that for many years after that I would run into those student leaders and see what a positive difference they were making in he life of the church and society.


There is one other aspect of all this about which I have very good feelings. It turns out that in 1920 my father Oscar Kieschnick had served as “sem buck’ for this Concordia. In 1950 I had that title and some 25 years after me our son David was elected student body president at this same school. Just a quiet satisfaction. And the lessons I learned in that position served me well in a variety of positions I held later in my professional life

No comments: