Thursday, August 25, 2016

REFLECTIONS ON A BLESSED AND HAPPY LIFE NO 32:PAYING FOR COLLEGE


Paying for college in 1945 (the year I entered) was a whole different story from what our children are paying for our grandchildren’s college in 2016. My recollection is that I figured my total cost for college, including transportation between Texas and Illinois, all tuition and room and board, came to about $600.00 a year. That was because the church charged us NO tuition as we were all studying to become commissioned teaching ministers on the official roster of the church. And because, according to the US government, $1.00 in 1945 is equivalent to $1.32 in 2016. My recollection is that my father  (who provided most of the money) was making about $3,000.00 a year. Yet he sent in all the money for room and board. My two sisters, Erna and Leona, who “went to work” rather than go to college themselves and helped pay my fees for four years at Concordia Academy, had both married and were no longer providing funds for me. Costs for daily activities, laundry, books etc. were up to me

So, of course, I worked over the summer. The first couple years I worked as a waiter at Wukash Brothers CafĂ© in Austin. The last two years I worked at constructions jobs. And work I did! I was at the lowest level of skills and pay. I think I was paid 40 cents an hour and spent most of my time digging foundation trenches and then fabricating the steel foundations. It was often over 100 degrees of Texas heat. I wore shorts and no shirt. I was turned a very dark tan and my muscles were as hard as the steel I fabricated. I also learned about the language and conversation of people who were far removed from “church work” and the curses and oaths that surrounded very graphic descriptions of sexual activity were, at first, very foreign to my ears.

I remember one of the first little jobs I took on a Saturday in River Forest. It was to install storm windows in a private home. I didn’t even know what a “storm window” was, but the two female residents of the home who hired me were very kind and forgiving and we did eventually get all those storm windows installed on both levels of that big two-story house.

 By far the best job I had during the school was “setting pins” in the bowling alleys of the private Oak Park Club. I was responsible for 2 adjoining lanes from 7:00-11:00 pm. Obviously that was before there were pin-setting machines and so it was all hand labor. While I was responsible for the lanes up to 11:00 pm it was also agreed that if no one was there after 10:00 pm I could take off and head back to the dorm. I was paid $4.00 a night and often worked two nights a week and in those days $8.00 was enough to take care of my incidental expenses. Obviously “incidental “could not allow for any restaurant meals, cigarettes, alcohol, et sim and very little to take the el to the Chicago Loop and just enjoy the sights.


The good news: I graduated from college without debts (other than the $100.00 I borrowed to start grad school) and it was good financial discipline! It blows my mind that last night when Jane and I went out (as guests of family and friends) our dinner bill for the two of came exactly to the same dollar amount as what my salary was for my first month of teaching in a Lutheran school.

No comments: