Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Reflections On A Long and Blessed Life, No. 44:Paradigm SHifts


 ParadigmShifts. 1950 is so long ago I think no one was even using the now over-used term “paradigm shifts”. But for Lutheran schools the early 50’s was indeed a time for great shifts in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod school model. The traditional model was as old as the Synod itself. LCMS congregations were expected to operate elementary schools. This was such an essential element for parish life that it was even written into the Synod’s constitution that every congregation was expected to operate its own school.

Elements of that model included the following. The congregation would operate the school. It would employ exclusively teachers (almost always males) who had been trained in the LCMS teacher training system and the Synod had established two teachers colleges (one in River Forest, IL and one in Seward NB to ensure a steady supply of teachers. Teachers were to be “called”-not contracted. They were considered “ministers of religion” by both church and state. They had life tenure and could be dismissed for only three reasons: teaching false doctrine, gross neglect of duties or immoral public display of behavior. They were to be provided housing by the calling congregation, usually in a congregation owned home called a “teacherage”. These teachers had special responsibilities in the congregation for which they received no special income. Most of them were church organists and choir directors and/or youth directors for the official youth group called The Walther League.

All congregation members were expected to send their children to the Lutheran school. I remember discussion when I was growing up as to whether or not a couple could be excommunicated from the church for sending their children to the public school rather than to the parochial one. Enrolling children who were not baptized members of the congregation was rare.

Financing was completely through the congregation budget-by the regular offerings of congregation members. Tuition was not considered an option.  Receiving state or federal funds was not on any Lutheran school’s agenda.

The role of the principal was to the best of my knowledge not a full-time position in any Lutheran elementary school in 1950.All of this was changing in the 1940’s and early 50”s especially on the East Coast in New York and on the West Coast in California. And that was also happening at St. Paul  Lutheran School in Tracy to which I was assigned. I did have the traditional “call”. I was teacher of grades 4-8 and was the principal. I was the Youth Director responsible for meetings with the youth every single Sunday night. (Note: Today in retirement I often say to my wife Jane as we drive home from church on Sunday morning, “Thank God, I do not have Walther League tonight!”) I was responsible for the Sunday School’s teacher training meetings twice a month. I was not the organist (for which everyone was thankful) but I did play the organ while the organist went to communion. Later the organist was my wife Jane, more about that in a later Blog. Of course, it was my responsibility to organize and run an annual Vacation Bible School.

But changes were coming fast. At least half of the children in my school were non-members. They paid tuition, though I think it was only $10.00 a month. My first year we had a non-Synodically-trained woman teacher in grades 1-3. It was important to know who the “non-member” children were. It was important to NOT have the reputation that the Lutheran school was somehow there for kids who could nor make it in the public school. In Tracy it was significant that both the small city’s top medical doctor and the top dentist sent their children to “the Lutheran school.” I am grateful to say that I embraced the “new paradigm” fully. I recruited from the entire neighborhood and was pleased that after 3 years we were over capacity in enrollment. I was also grateful that more women teachers were available and I utilized interns and graduates from both River Forest and Seward. The role of the principal was expanding and I was very pleased to attend a semi-annual principals conference with my area colleagues. Fund raising was a new and critical responsibility. It took a great deal of my time and I did not do an excellent job.

I was at Tracy for 4 years. It was a very different Lutheran school from the one I attended in Walburg, Texas but it was Lutheran, had member and non-member children, was supported by congregation and tuition, and was well respected by the neighborhood.  It was challenging and rewarding and it prepared me for challenges and opportunities in my future career.

-->


No comments: