Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Reflections On A Long And Blessed Life: No. 45: The Walther League


 The Walther League played a significant role in my life. Begun in 1893 and named after C.F. W. Walther the first president of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod the League was the official youth organization of that denomination. One became eligible for membership after the ritual of confirmation, usually at the 7th or 8th grade level. It was an important rite of passage to be accepted as a member. I vividly remember that I was confirmed on Palm Sunday in 1940 and it was a big deal that the following Sunday I was allowed for the first time to participate in the League-sponsored Easter egg hunt.

My father was the counselor for the Zion Lutheran Walther League of which I was a member. We met almost every Sunday evening. Every meeting was required to have three components: Christian Growth, which meant we had an hour or so of Bible study, which we always called Topic Discussion. Then there was time to plan a Christian Service project such as cleaning church property, raising money for national projects et sim. And the third important function was Christian Fellowship which meant games, hay rides, scavenger hunts, wink-um et sim. It was at Walther League that many of my contemporaries courted, fell in love with and pursued their first spouse. I can still sing the Walther League song, ”Walther Leaguers, Walther Leaguers, One and all are we: Serving Jesus Christ, our Savior who has made us free; Walther Leaguers, Walther Leaguers, where-so-ere we roam; Working and praying for our church and home.”

Part of my first official work assignment was to be Youth Director. I worked hard at it with our little Walther League group in Tracy. We faithfully focused on the three aspects mentioned above. We stayed involved at the “zone level” which took us to neighboring churches in Stockton, Modesto, and Turlock. And we got involved with our District Summer Camps at beautiful Asilomar. A little remembrance of League Summer  Camp: Our pastor’s son joined us. He “enjoyed” his freedom from his parents so much that after the second year he was banned from attending.

The Walther League no longer exists. The denomination leaders got unhappy with some of the way too liberal activities of the League with the breaking point coming when the League invited Pete Seeger to attend and sing at one of their national conventions.

The League continued to impact me in a variety of ways through much of my career. When I was in Hong Kong it was the Walther League (and Wheat Ridge) that sponsored Haven of Hope T.B Sanitarium that was a place of healing and hope for many. Years later I was a counselor for a tour group that took me to clinics all over Southern India, the result of work begun by the Walther League and continued by Wheat Ridge Ministries. In my retirement I served as a part time field rep for that same organization. These on-going connections were helpful in getting start-up grants for two recent organizations, which are sill important to me: RESOUNDING JOY and Survivors of Torture, Inc.


-->
Yet, in a strange way what I seem to remember most is that Sunday after Sunday my assignment was “go to the Walther League meeting”.  Jane will tell you that now on more Sundays than not, as we drive home from Sunday morning worship, I announce, “Thank God I do not have Walther League tonight!

No comments: