Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Reflections )On A Long And Blessed Life No.46: Pastor-Principal Relationship


 Anyone who has been active in Lutheran elementary schools knows that the relationship between the principal of the school and the pastor of the sponsoring congregation is vital for the school’s success. And this was even more important in the 1950:s when the relationship between the school and the congregation was more mutually dependent than it is now.

My first pastor was someone I will simply designate as Pr. RB. He entered the pastoral ministry later in life, leaving a successful business as a mechanic. There was a crisis in his life and he promised God that if God got him out of the crisis he would become a pastor. I am glad the crisis was resolved and I wish he had remained a mechanic. He was better qualified for that than for serving as a parish pastor.

He was a good man. He had a special heart for the poor, especially also the homeless. He never turned down a beggar who showed up at his door. He often found some small task or assignment for the needy but then he helped.

He was very supportive of the school and was, in fact, the founding pastor of the school. His wife taught in the school. H e was kind to me. But there was a major issue. He was (I am firmly convinced) an alcoholic. He denied this. His wife was an enabler. He kept liquor right next to him in his office desk.

The situation became very public more than once, but especially at a Lenten worship service. As he began to lead the service it was obvious to all that he “was under the influence”. After the initial reading I hurried to the closed area behind the altar and met him there while the next hymn was being sung. I told him ,”Pastor, it looks like you are not well. I do not think you can continue with the sermon. Just let me go out and explain that you are not well. I will give a brief message.” He resisted me. When I insisted it almost became physical so I let him continue. By the next morning  the word was buzzing throughout the town of Tracy. “Last night the pastor of The Lutheran Church showed up to preach-and he was drunk.”

We attempted interventions with the District (Synod). Unfortunately they just transferred the problem. He served one parish after another with the same “issue” making him ineffective. Seven years later we had a dinner appointment with him. When we got to his home his wife said “I am sorry. R. cannot be with us. He is not well. He cannot speak to or be with you.”


--> As I reflect on this whole experience I recall that I may have been a threat to him. I was young and eager and creative. I had the full support of the school and congregation. People were coming to me with their “pastoral problems.” I wish I had been more supportive and more confrontive. May he rest in peace.

No comments: