Tuesday, November 14, 2017

90th Birthday Celebration in Hong Kong Part II: Site Visits


It was to establish and support Lutheran Schools that took me to Hong Kong back in l956 so it was high on my agenda to visit a few of them now 52 years later. Therefore the morning after we arrived we were off to Concordia Lutheran School in Kowloon. The school had started with just a couple middle school grades housed in a storefront. Then we received a grant of land from the government and a $100.000 grant from the Lutheran Women Missionary League to build a stand-alone structure. That was my first assignment upon arrival those many years ago. We built a Kdg-12 school, later added classrooms, added an evening school and enrolled some 1,500 students by the time I left. I was principal of that very large operation completely staffed by Chinese personnel. It was a premier school with the highest rate of successful takers of school government-sponsored high school leaving exams in the history of Hong Kong.

Things have changed dramatically. It is now only a Grade 6 to 12 school. The evening school is no longer necessary. It is completely funded with government grants. It continues to have high standards and a tough academic program. Its enrollment is 750. It has a new US$7 million campus complete with all kinds of science and language labs etc. etc.

The faculty and staff were eagerly awaiting my visit. Together they had arranged for a group of top students to meet with me and tell me about their school. Their presentation was all in English, fully illustrated with computer-generated projections. The students told me of current things that were never on the table in my day: optional sequences for high school students, courses in tourism and hospitality, courses taught in Cantonese, Mandarin and English. The students proudly told me of academic teams, sports programs, religious clubs and musicals, sports teams, inter-school visits with schools on the mainland of China and on and on. Very impressive.

They had a carefully prepared session in which I was interviewed. I was pleased to respond to their questions regarding original visions and dreams and about differences between then and now. Finally the interviewing student said “Just one more question, “What is your opinion of President Trump?” That was the question they really wanted to ask!

The next school we visited was Saviour Lutheran School for Special Ed. What a treat. It had always been a dream of mine to reach out to this neglected portion of the population. I was there to help find the site, raise the construction money and get the building started but had to leave before completing the construction and I had never seen the final product. Now there has even been an addition to the building. Kids with special needs ages 6-16 are enrolled. The program is excellent and professionally conducted. A group presented a short musical program for me, including the singing in English of “Jesus Loves Me This I Know For the Bible Tells Me So.” I left emotionally overwhelmed.

Then primarily for son Tim we went to the site of the home where he lived from birth to age 5. Of course that building has long ago and been torn down and replaced with higher density housing. The squatter hut village just a block away has been replaced with high-rise apartment buildings.  But Tim tried to look over the fence to find where he had played on the slide and climbing bars.

A quick trip to where Tim had been born: St. Teresa’s Hospital. All replaced. Good thing as when Jane went there for his delivery the labor room was on the third floor, there was no elevator and we woke a night watchman to let us in. Jane’s water broke on the way up the stairs and Tim arrived before the Dr. did. But he survived very well and the new building is helping many others do the same today, but I bet there are none named Tim.

The next day I was off to Hong Kong International School. This is another school which I planned, got approved, designed, and was building when a family medical emergency forced our family to leave. Now it is one of the top schools in the world. The recently dedicated lower school is THE BEST I have ever seen anywhere. It even has a full-size swimming pool with a bottom that can be raised or lowered automatically so children can be in water ranging in depth from 1 inch to 8 feet. There is a full-sized kitchen for children to learn, all play equipment is specifically designed for this school. The entrance features an incredible tiled mosaic with tiles made in Italy and laid in place by the kids. It meets all the demands of parents who pay up to $25,000.00 in tuition for their children to attend!. It blows my mind and while everything else that I designed has been replaced the startling cross in the center still sends a message of love and respect for all.

When I spoke to some of the staff on the theme of excellence and learning they announced that the bursary to allow teachers from all over to come and learn here had been named in my honor.


-->

No comments: