Monday, March 18, 2019

Let Your Ears Do the Talking


I have been asked to share a brief reflection at my church’s Lenten supper next Wednesday. The topic is the charge given to the newly baptized to “Proclaim God’s love in Christ in word and deed.” When I saw that first word “PROCLAIM” I immediately realized that “proclaim” is not a welcome word to most people. It is not at all unusual to have people say that they are quite uncomfortable with making any public speech. . And an order with the word  “proclaim” is likely to result in an initial response ,“Not me! I am not a proclaimer!”

I am grateful that I learned long ago that sometimes our most powerful way to show God’s love is by initially not proclaiming anything. Rather it is to just listen. That is why I truly believe that often the best way to proclaim God’ s love is to” Let Your Ears Do the Talking”

The power (yes, the ministry) of attending, of hearing, of active listening is sometimes the very best way of showing both human and divine love.

I recently did a little private experiment here at the retirement community at which my wife Jane and I live. I decided to either begin or insert into a conversation something about myself. It could be some experience I have had, some sharing of a previous encounter, an opinion about some current event or recalling a feeling I have been having. Then I would see if the person I was with would in any way follow-up on what I said. In the last 10 times I have done that not once has the person really followed up on my lead. Instead the person(s) talked about their experience, their insight or thought. In one recent case both Jane and I tried at least 3 times to move the conversation to a piece of our life. In every case the other just went right back to their own train of thought!

I am sure that there are times when I too failed to be a good listener. I do, however, place a high value on the importance of listening. For some reason or other I recall an experience of some 40 years ago. I was on a plane to Omaha Nebraska. I had a speech to give and was going over my notes not paying much attention to the woman seated to my left. However, I could not fail but notice that she was upset. So I began with just a brief comment or “door-opener“ as to whether she was afraid of flying. With just this little opening she began to speak, at first reluctantly, and then as I just listened she let it all come out. She was worried, fearful, guilty, ashamed and more. She told me she was returning to the small town from which she had moved. She was returning there to see her father. She had to tell her father of her failed marriage and impending divorce. He would be upset-in fact-very upset because in addition to caring for his daughter he was the pastor -of a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregation! I gave no advice, shared no comparable experience, and did not speak of my position. I just listened. By the time we reached our destination she had become composed. She asked if we could just have a brief prayer together just before we disembarked. I was grateful that I (at least on this one occasion Let My Ears Do the Talking.)

And it is helpful for me to recall that it is our Heavenly Parent who often proclaims God’s love by just listening to me and the millions of others who speak with God in prayer every day.



No comments: