Friday, March 22, 2019

Walking Wet

The baptism of an infant at my church recently was especially meaningful to me. The baby had two siblings who had joined the baptismal group around the baptismal font. When it came time for the actual baptism the pastor asked the two little ones (about 3 and 5 years of age) to join in and to also sprinkle a bit of water on the head of their little sister as the pastor pronounced the words, “I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of The Holy Spirit.” Then he took the infant in his arms and marched down the center aisle of the sanctuary. The beaming baby, still wet from the water seemed angelic  .It deeply touched me as I reflected that she was my sister in Christ. I tried to imagine the life that lay before her and the many joys and blessings she could bring to others. Her “Walking Wet” touched me deeply.

In my reverie I recalled another baptism now more that 50 Years ago. It was an Easter service at Concordia Lutheran Church in Hong Kong. We baptized 200 students from the school of which I was principal. This was very significant. We enrolled around 2000 students in that kdg-grade 12 school. New enrolees numbered only about 5% Christian. So to add 200 or more baptized students to our enrolment meant a great deal. I wondered how they would make a difference. How would their classmates know that these friends were now baptized? I urged them to “Walk Wet.” Just be what you are, a beloved child of God. Be honest in your schoolwork. Treat teachers and others with respect and kindness. Don’t cheat. Use no bad language Tell no dirty jokes. Tell others you love them. Remember to pray. Attend worship. Be pleased to tell others that you are baptized. Just “Walk Wet “

Now these many years after that event I find myself in a very different environment, a Retirement Community of some 900 residents. And I ask myself, ”How many of the people here know me? Of those who do know me how many know that I am a baptized Christian? How do I “Walk Wet?” What words have I spoken, what actions have I taken, what behaviors have I demonstrated? How empathetically have I listened? Of course, I realize I could do more things or say more words to “proclaim the love of God in Christ” but I am also grateful that in some small and big ways I am faithful to the baptismal call as day by day I try to simply to  “Walk Wet.”

No comments: