Saturday, July 27, 2019

Reflection on a Long and Blessed Life No.67: Ann Arbor Life in the Late ‘60’s Part II



 As reflected upon in my previous BLOG my four years as Superintendent of Lutheran Schools of Michigan was a great experience. One aspect of that which I did not mention was that his was from 1968-72-years of great turmoil, unrest, assassinations, urban riots, weed-smoking long-haired college students etc. etc. Since Ann Arbor is, of course the home of the U of Michigan we were in the midst of it all. 

I remember seventeen year old son David agreeing that I could join him as we headed toward the U of M campus to experience my one and only rock concert. We were still quite a ways off when the aroma of smoking weed filled the atmosphere.

Peggy went to a public junior high. She said that she had to learn which girls’ bathroom to avoid and when to say “Hi” walking down a corridor and when to just look straight ahead. But she had found the one rest room, which was safe to use, and she always found that. On the other hand I recall a different very good experience with Peggy. It was a Saturday night and she had attended a house party with friends and when it was time to be over I drove and picked her up. As I watched he partygoers leave I noticed that the youth seemed to all be black-and a few Chinese. When Peggy got into the car I asked her, “Where you the only white person at this party?” She reflected for a moment, surprised by my question, and then said, “Yes, dad, I guess I was. I never noticed.”

Ann Arbor provided the first opportunity for son Tim to play Little League baseball and I was always impressed by the energy and enthusiasm he brought to that and to the basketball court of St. Paul’s Lutheran School. What he lacked in size he made up for with energy, zest and real commitment to the game. I also clearly recall two goals he had at the time, namely, to play on the U of M football team and to then also play in the U of M Marching Band for the half-time show. 

Liz had to endure a very authoritarian teacher who forced her into silence that was not over until she finally got Mrs. Foelber as her teacher and that was great. Liz’s flute-playing was exceptional and she was often in concerts

John had a ball as he joined his best friend Bruce as they explored and built fortresses in the big open-spaced field just across the street from our home. I also recall that once when he got bored in kindergarten he just left the campus walked the short distance away where he was sure that his brother David was doing some lawn maintenance

Jane kept on healing and fighting weight gain later to be discovered caused by a drug she was taking. She was always taking the kids to one place or another. It was great for her and me to head to Frankenmuth for some Zehnder’s chicken. She probably saved her neighbor’s life. One day little 4 year old Amy came over from next door crying “My mommy needs you !” Jane hurried over to discover that her Mom had, in fact, attempted suicide brought on by post-partum depression. Her life was saved.

A few years ago Jane and I revisited our home there-on Nixon St. We were thrilled to see the two little evergreen trees that Tim had planted. They were now (50 years later) fully grown and adding a stately presence to the entire back yard.


No comments: