Friday, October 14, 2016

REFLECTION ON A LONG AND BLESSED LIFE NO.39: BEGINNING MY CAREER AS AN EDUCATOR


 When the day after Labor Day arrived in 1950 I was ready for my first day of teaching. I had decorated the classroom. I made sure the desks, which were bolted down to 2 x 4 runners, were all perfectly aligned. I had carefully prepared a set of watercolors and brushes for each student. I had tried to memorize the names of the 32 students in my room in grades 4-8. I had bought extra gel for the clumsy purple ditto copy trays. Of course, I was somewhat nervous but also quite confident. After all I myself had gone to grades 1-8 in a two room Lutheran school. I had had a full year of internship teaching grades 1-4. I was excited and ready to roll.

I loved teaching and I loved my kids and I think I did a fair job. Now some 65 years later I remember especially one teaching activity that went very well. Tracy was a town of about 10,000. We did a total classroom project across grade levels. Students got themselves into self-selected groups with each group choosing one aspect of the city to study and report on. The groups included: making a map of the city, meeting with the city’s Director of Recreation, meeting with the Chief of Police, going to the big tomato processing plant, interviewing the editor of the town weekly newspaper etc. Each group did its homework and then reported to the entire classroom. As various city leaders heard how “those kids” from St. Paul’s Lutheran school had interviewed their colleagues there was a very positive reaction.

I used an organization design for teaching that I had learned from my father. Religion, social studies, music, and art were taught to all 5 grades at once. However, reading and arithmetic were taught grade by grade. I had the kids from each grade come to the front of the room, gather around a table and we studied and learned together. Meanwhile the other classes were busy with workbook assignments. We focused on the basics and our kids really excelled way above state and local norms on standardized tests. I think I was reasonably effective but I never did consider classroom discipline to be one of my strengths. We faced the realty of widely different student abilities with not too much trouble Since we were multi-grade the brighter kids could join the grade above them for specific work and the weaker students could get reviews by listening to the lessons taught in the grades below them.

The 1950’s were days when the whole paradigm of Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod schools was changing and my school represented the new realities. We made the switch from when all children in the school were Lutheran to an enrollment predominantly non-Lutheran. We moved from children paying no tuition and all costs being covered by funds from the congregation budget to charging tuition and receiving very little (if any) congregational financial support.  My memory is that our tuition was $10.00 a month.

Fund raising was a pretty new thing for Lutheran schools then but it was central to our financial viability. Thus at least once a month I was joined by boy students as we used a borrowed truck and went throughout the city collecting newspaper which, of course, we sold. My other fund-raising methods were not at all creative and not very effective. I now often wish I could go back to those days and do a better job.

When I compare my experience with my colleagues of today I see great differences. All my students were white and native speakers of English. Pick-up permission slips from feuding divorced parents was unheard of. Peanut butter allergies were not yet on the agenda. Cell phones and computers were distant dreams. It was usually assumed that if a student and a teacher had a conflict the teacher was in the right. Mandatory state tests were nowhere on the horizon for non-public schools.  “Titles” were names of books and unrelated to government programs or requirements. LGBTQ were random letters of the alphabet.

I was accountable to a School Board made up of congregation members (all male). They were very supportive (though I had to agree to disagree with the chairman of the Board who refused to have his 3 children in our school vaccinated against any disease).

Naturally, I have some regrets: I had a few kids with some relatively serious behavior/adjustment problems and I wish I had been more helpful. I did not teach enough creative writing. I wish I had challenged the brightest kids more. As a principal I was seriously lacking in providing support to my teaching colleagues. During my years at Tracy I had two first-year teachers. I do not think I visited their classrooms for even one day. I did not seek classroom aides for them. The best I can say for myself (and that is not much) is that I was available to them and stood behind them when they had any issue with an unhappy parent.

The boys in the school would probably be in agreement that the best thing that Teacher Kieschnick brought to their school was that (for the first time) the school basketball team had uniforms and was actually allowed to play a game or two against another school team. They and their female classmates would also applaud that sometimes when we got into really close soccer games recess time just kept getting extended until one team of the other scored the winning goal. And I do hope and pray that every one of my former students went away convinced (and still believing today) that God loves them.


As it turned out, I ended up spending only 6 years of my over 50 years as an educator being a classroom teacher. I enjoyed it and to this day have nothing but the greatest respect for the “ordinary” classroom teachers who just happen to be among the most important change agents on this planet.

No comments: