Saturday, October 1, 2016

REFLECTIONS ON A LONG AND BLESSED LIFE NO. 37: GRADUATE SCHOOL

 Graduation was great. Having Mother and Dad there from Texas was greater. Having Jane accept my engagement ring was the greatest. And 4 days later I began the next chapter; graduate school. Graduate school had always been on my long-range plan but I had no idea as to when I would start that. Dean of Students Huegli had other ideas. In my college senior year I was student body president and Dean Huegli and I met for a full hour every day Monday through Friday. Shortly before graduation he told me “You are going to grad school and you will start this summer.” He received his Ph.D. from Northwestern U. and that is where he wanted me to go. So I followed his orders and applied. It seemed like I had a somewhat reserved response from Northwestern. Then suddenly I received new communications not only welcoming me, but urging me to come. Apparently Dean Huegli had made some contact.

When I told him I had no financial resources he again stepped up. He arranged for me to live on campus at Concordia (at no cost) and work on campus facilities upkeep during the summer. When I needed course fees I approached my cousin Ben Jacob. He came through (all be it reluctantly) and loaned me $100.00.00 with me paying him back $10.00 a month for 12 months. I figured that was a pretty high interest rate but I paid that and Ben accepted the full $120.00. In fact I paid it off ahead of tim out of my $180.00 month salary.

I studied psychology and had excellent courses. Two were outstanding. One was called Human Personality and I remember getting certified to administer and interpret the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Another course was Diagnosing and Treating Mental Disorders. Tough and very good. One important lesson I learned: Work very carefully and long on the symptoms and only then make a diagnosis.

A couple of minor aspect of life during those summer months: The first was that I had a very enjoyable time playing summer softball. The quality of pitching in the games was very low and at the end of the summer I was informed that I had won the batting title with an average of well over 400. (As I said, the level of pitching was very low.) The other incidental has to do with one of the two gentlemen with whom I shared rides to and from the university. That friend’s name was Don Dinkmeyer who was working on his doctorate in psychology.  Twenty-five years later we “met” again under some stressful circumstances. He had developed and was aggressively marketing a parent-training program and called it Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP). It was based very heavily on the PET skills. In fact it had so many almost exact concepts, words and steps as PET (I was then working with PET) that we seriously considered legally charging him for plagiarism and copyright infringement. Eventually we decided against that and I am glad we never had to jointly appear in court.

Summer was soon over and I needed to get to Tracy, California to begin my teaching ministry, the next phase of my long and blessed life.





No comments: