Thursday, October 6, 2016

REFLECTION ON A LONG AND HAPPY LIFE NO. 38: TRIPS

Graduate work at summer school passed very quickly. Then it was time to head out to St. Paul Lutheran Church and School in Tracy, California for my church-assigned duties. My memory is that the congregation offered to pay my bus fare from my home in Texas to Tracy. I chose to go by a route other than bus. As I did quite often, I checked the newspapers and found a car that needed to be delivered to California: a beautiful two-toned brand new Pontiac. A friend from Texas joined me. We went from Chicago to Central Texas to San Francisco all without incident other than one stop by the Highway Patrol in Arizona. I think they had seen me speed down a long hill but were too far behind me to track the exact speed. So I was stopped, the officer examined my papers, I told him about my “sacred call “and he wished me well and sent me on with his blessings (and no ticket).

This was my first of quite a few trips between Texas and the Midwest, always by some means other than public transportation or my own car. I had been at St. Paul’s school only a few months when the PTA very graciously raised money as a gift to allow me to visit my fiancĂ©, Jane, who was teaching in Michigan. I always remember Mr. B telling the parents “I know Mr. K. Let’s not buy him a ticket; instead let’s just give him the cash. I bet he will come up with an alternative plan.” He was right. I joined a group of men (found through a newspaper ad) and again we drove straight through. I did have one stress-filled hour. We arrived in Salt Lake City around 1:00 am. Of course, there were no freeways in those days and we needed to drive through the heart of the city. The driver said, “Watch me. I am going to drive through this whole city without stopping once,” And he did, though it meant just running through the many red lights we encountered. The Mormon gods were with us and we made it safely.

After a wonderful Christmas with Jane, a friend who was the coach at Concordia College in Oakland found a car in Detroit that needed delivering to San Francisco. Again we drove without spending a night in any hotel. However, we did have a New Year’s Eve incident. Just after midnight a car was suddenly stopped in front of us in the middle of the road and another car was coming up the mountain to meet us. We had a minor collision. The highway patrol arrived but they said they were too busy on this New Year’s Eve to write up an accident report. They ordered us to go the county court house in the next city and write the report. We went to the courthouse arriving around 2:00 am. We had to wait for the lone official there to first perform a wedding ceremony for a couple which had decided at midnight that they wanted to get married at once. The other party involved in our accident never arrived (we think the driver of that vehicle actually did not possess a valid drivers license). We went on our way and got stopped in California (maybe we were speeding) but then it got interesting. We told the officer about our deal on delivering the car. He asked for the name of the company to which we were headed etc. etc. etc. Then I showed him the papers. “WOW !” he said. ”You are lucky. This guy is famous for bringing cars into California illegally and changing registrations in an improper way. You are one lucky gentleman. I will not confiscate this vehicle.” And he sent us on our way rejoicing.

There are other stories of this kind of travel. Jane and I drove a vehicle from Ft. Wayne to Muskogee, OK because our new car had been nearly totaled on the way to the wedding and had to be repaired in Muskogee. Once we drove an almost new   Cadillac from Detroit to Orange County. The air conditioner went out in the middle of that summer heat, but again we made it.

They say that the journey is as important as the destination. But my destination was the more important because it was time for me assume my exciting new role as teacher of grades 4-8 and principal of St. Paul’s Lutheran School and I was rarin’ to go

No comments: